Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 22:19:01 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014697142.ec6613@mired.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Danny J. Zerkel" <dzerkel@columbus.rr.com>, Aleksander Rozman - Andy <andy@kksonline.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clearcase and FreeBSD

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> types:
> "Danny J. Zerkel" wrote:
> > Maybe cvs is an academic toy.  Most real development requires a real
> > configuration management system.  Why do you think there is work being done
> > on FreeBSD in Perforce?
> Frankly, it's because CVS only permits a single line of
> concurrent developement, and it's a limiting tool; but
> CVSup is CVS-centric and fails with P4, and P4 costs money as a
> barrier to adoption for FreeBSD if the project were to cut over to
> it,

Not necessarily. The client is free, and in the ports tree.  That
includes the server with an evaluation license, which limits it to two
clients and two users. Perforce offers Open Source software projects
free multiuser - which means unlimited clients - licenses. See <URL:
http://www.perforce.com/perforce/price.html > and search for "open
source" on the page. They even point to the FreeBSD license as a good
choice for a candidate.

> so there's understandable backpressure against using it for the main
> repository.

I think the real pressure is that none of the sources are
available. Last time I checked, they didn't even publish a description
of the protocol between the server and the client, so you can't
independently develop a client. They *do* provide a link library for
all their build platforms that you can use to build custom clients,
but you don't get source to that.

I admit to being biased, but I think that switching would be an
incredible win for everyone concerned.

	<mike