Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2003 03:12:45 -0300
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o_Carlos_Mendes_Lu=EDs?= <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Requirements Final Draft Attempt #2 :-/

Hi Ken,

     We're getting there!  Thanks for your efforts.

Ken Smith wrote:

> Mirror Site Categories
> ----------------------
>
> 	- Distribution Site: ftp-master* site, ftp-master itself plus a set
> 	  of other machines that sync frequently from ftp-master and allow
> 	  only Official Mirror Sites to connect to them.
>
> 	- Primary Mirror Site: Sync at least once a day from a Distribution

     I would rather remove "at least a day", it's better explained below.

> 	  Site, carry everything currently on ftp-master.
>
> 	- Secondary Mirror Site: Does not carry everything on ftp-master,
> 	  and/or syncs from a Primary Mirror Site (thus getting stuff slower).
>
> Which category a Mirror Site fits in will be indicated on the Web page
> listing the FTP mirrors, and that page will include a description of what
> "Primary" versus "Secondary" means.  End-users don't need to know anything
> about the Distribution Servers so they won't be mentioned in the Handbook
> but will be described in the hubs article.
>

> Requirements of all Mirror Sites
> --------------------------------
>
> 1) Different user for sync jobs than anonymous FTP (and, if HTTP
>    access is available, httpd).
> 2) Mechanism used for sync preserves (and can change later) file
>    permissions.
> 3) Site Admin on mirror-announce@ list (still being created, not ready
>    yet).  This will be a private (Official Mirrors only) list used only
>    for announcements by mirror-admin@ and re@.  hubs@ will remain an
>    open discussion list.
> 4) Directory archive sits in is /pub/FreeBSD.

     Leave here a note about possible future enhancements with mirror
lists that would remove this restriction.

> Requirements for Primary Mirror Sites
> -------------------------------------
>
> 1) Carries everything currently on ftp-master (note that is changing, we
>    hope to drop the branches/ stuff).
> 2) New data posted to the Distribution Sites should reach a Primary Mirror
>    site within a day to a day and a half.  See note below about sync-ing.
> 3) Optionally provides access to other Official Mirror Sites through a
>    secure mechanism (only allowing Official Mirror Sites to download
>    "staged" releases).  This typically means running a special cvsupd
>    or rsyncd with access restrictions.  Must check with mirror-admin@
>    before granting this sort of access to confirm the requesting site
>    is an Official Mirror Site.
> 4) Site Admin on hubs@ in addition to mirror-announce@.
> 5) Will be given a "ftpX.CC.freebsd.org" hostname and will be a candidate
>    for becoming a "ftpX.freebsd.org" hostname.
>
> Requirements for Secondary Mirror Sites
> ---------------------------------------
>
> 1) Carry all files needed for latest Production Release for at least one
>    architecture. This includes the packages for that release.  Note this
>    means the packages in the -release directory for this release, not
>    necessarily the package set that gets built on a roughly weekly basis.
>    Using FreeBSD 4.8 for the i386 architecture as an example this means
>    carrying:
>
> 	releases/i386/4.8-RELEASE/
> 	releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.8/
> 	ports/i386/packages-4.8-release/

     Another note: TODO in sysinstall: check safely for existence of
architecture in selected mirror, and ask the user another mirror (or use
the mirror lists enhancement).

> 2) Syncs from a Distribution Site or a Primary Mirror Site.  New data
>    posted to the Distribution Servers (in the area(s) a Secondary Mirror
>    Site chooses to carry) should reach the Secondary Mirror Site within
>    two to three days.  See note below about sync-ing.
> 3) Will be given a "ftpX.CC.freebsd.org" name.
>
> Sync-ing Strategies
> -------------------
>
> The FreeBSD site can be challenging to sync with depending on a wide
> variety of things (your machine's capabilities, the network bandwidth
> to your upstream site, the capabilities of that upstream site, how much
> of the site you choose to mirror, the mechanism you use to sync, etc.).
> At first it is probably easiest to sync everything you choose to carry
> once a day from your upstream site.  However as time goes on you will
> notice which pieces of the site tend to be active (e.g. parts of the ports/
> section of the site are updated roughly weekly) versus which pieces of the
> site tend to be less active (e.g. the releases/ section of the site is
> only active when a new Release is being prepared).  Primary/Secondary
> Mirror Sites should try to abide by the time frames mentioned above for
> the data they choose to carry.  By choosing to sync active pieces of the
> site on a regular basis and by paying attention to announcements on the
> mailing list to adapt syncing the less active parts of the site as appropriate
> the time frames mentioned above can be achieved.  Note we do hope to
> streamline the site a bit to make this easier down the road.

     My experience with this is that release dates are announced very
early, and I've never missed one, only by reading my email.  I like this
part of the text.

     BTW, this remember me something that probably belongs here: The
contents in /pub/FreeBSD/doc is constantly changing, probably because of
daily compilations of source code.  I just stopped mirroring this daily,
until I find a smarter mechanism to do that.  For now, it's a bandwidth
waster!

                                         Jonny

--
João Carlos Mendes Luís - Networking Engineer - jonny@jonny.eng.br