Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 13:24:00 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, bde@zeta.org.au, dg@root.com
Subject:   Re: memory leaks in libc

> >> I believe that any program which suffers serious harm from the memory
> >> leak probably needs to use a different environment-access model.
>
> > Yes, until we fix the bug. Then they don't anymore, that's the whole point.
>
> No, you've missed the point entirely.  *Any program which does enough
> playing around with the environment to be harmed by this memory leak
> is using a totally inappropriate interface.*

That's not for you to decide, or even make judgements on.  If you
provide an interface, it should be bug-free.

If there where bugs in our Q macros, and people were using them for
inappropriate reasons, it doesn't justify the bugs.

They may be the most *appropriate* and *portable* inteface available to
programs, even if you don't like it personally.

I'm in agreement with Archie here.  We're not here to change the world
to a different model than anyone else uses, we're here to provide a
bug-free stable OS.

Nate