Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 1996 12:40:41 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        hm@altona.hamburg.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi-Port Async Cards

>> >I've heard about bugs and problems with different driver.....but not much
>> >positive feedback. What is the "product of choice" for doing multi-port
>> >async dial-in with Freebsd....as of the moment?
>
>> Might I infer from the fact that no-one seems to have a (positive) opinion
>> about this that FreeBSD is a particularly bad choice for this and Linux
>> should be recommended?
>
>Some weeks ago i asked a similar question. I got one recommendation: a
>Boca Board -  which seems to run fine at several sites but had a problem
>with autodetection at boot time. I could not find a distributor for it
>here in Germany.
>
>Also i contacted the german distributor for the Cyclades product line
>because i heard some good things about the product line. I was told,
>that the FreeBSD driver does not work good, but someone in Germany hacked
>a good running version - i could not locate him. I scanned the mail archives
>for Cyclades and saw that there was some flameing going on about the cy
>driver and that someone else had written a driver which works but which
>needs mgetty. I don't like needing mgetty. Nothing against mgetty, but
>i want to get along with getty if i want. Other than this, the Cycaldes
>product looked very promising, but without a working driver ...
>
>Finally someone in the company i'm working for put an ancient AST "Cluster
>Controller" on my desk, 4 full modem ports equipped with 8250's and just
>one IRQ needed. AST Germany was VERY helpful in getting the dip switch
>settings for this ancient board, it is fully supported by sio and it runs
>without any problems - i'm fully satisfied.

This scenario is frightening to me....although I think that you've answered my
question......Its the final straw I think in making FreeBSD
marketable...obviously
the AST solution is unacceptable for a real ISP....I wonder why the cyclades
board
needs mgetty.....whats the major diff between getty and mgetty?

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX