Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 16:14:42 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, kde@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: KDE installation directory.

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 08:58:17AM +1300, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> Question: Why does KDE install into /usr/local, when the current
> convention for all other X-related programs install into /usr/X11R6?

Historical reasons.  No technical reasons that I'm aware of.  It
really doesn't matter very much (although you could interpret
hier(7) in various ways regarding this).

> Also, when is the maintainer for kde expected to be back? I'd
> thought there'd be more people for kde@freebsd.org rather than the current
> one.

Eh?  I reply usually, but when it's a question like "When will
KDE 2.2.1 be put in ports?" I'm going to ignore it.  Admittedly,
however, I'm slightly disappointed in other kde@ people because
none of them seem to be replying to any of the kde@ mail.  I was
sort of hoping for more active members... *hint* *hint*

--
wca