Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 07:56:05 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk
Subject:   Re: Ethernet interface names

>Philippe Regnauld wrote in message ID
><19980803133915.52291@deepo.prosa.dk>:
>> The advantage would be that you could pull out a dead card, plug
>> a new (not necessarily of the same model), and there woudln't
>> be any need to edit rc.conf, rc.firewall, etc...
>
>Thats assuming that the card is of the same bus type. If you replace an ISA
>card with a PCI card, you will probably end up with a different probe order,

Probe order creates a real problem. I can uniquely identify the interfaces
by ethernet MAC. I still have to make assumptions about which "new" device
is replacing which "old" one. If two change at the same time ...
(Anyone got a paddle?)

>and hence the exact problems you highlight above. If you could do device
>numbering persistance like solaris does, so that devices don't change numbers
>over a reboot (just a reboot -r), then I think the `eth' scheme may work.

Persistance can be accomplished by using a database (implemented in shell
variables) that links {kernel device id (ed0) <==> ethernet MAC} to get
around the probe ordering and {ethernet MAC <==> logical interface (eth7)}

Then you can write the "rules" using the logical interface.
However, this doesn't solve the "replaced hardware" problem.