Date:      Mon, 09 Aug 1999 23:40:44 -0700
From:      Tom Pavel <pavel@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Experience with multi-channel ethernet cards

I have a project for which I'm going to need to get a lot of ethernet
ports into one machine, and so I thought I'd look into the
availability of dual- or quad-channel ethernet cards.

A quick Web search turned up the Intel Pro 100 dual port card
(PILA8472) and the SMC EtherPower II dual card (SMC9334).  Neither of
these are explicitly listed as supported in FreeBSD 3.2 (and the 3C980
"server" NIC which is supported turns out not actually to be a
dual-channel card...).

So, does anyone know if either of these cards work with the existing
fxp/de drivers?  If so, what has your experience with them been?  Do
they show up as 2 independent network interfaces, or is there
something more subtle?

Alternately, if anyone has any other ideas along these lines, I'd love
to hear about them.  [I don't suppose anyone has a driver for a Sun
QFE card...  Would that even work in an Intel PC?]

Tom Pavel

Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
pavel@slac.stanford.edu                 http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~pavel/