Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 14:24:42 +1000
From:      Peter Stubbs <peters@seraglio.staidan.qld.edu.au>
To:        <hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Another cool hack with FreeBSD...

>> > I was wondering about load balancing several lines?  For example,
>> > if I could load balance two POTS lines with 28.8 modems, I could
>> > have the bandwidth of single ISDN at a fraction of the cost.  With
>> > four lines I could have bonded ISDN performance, again at a fraction
>> > of the cost.
>> >
>> > Does anyone do this.  Can FreeBSD do this?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> I was looking at this some odd number of seasons ago to help deal with some
>> problems I was running into; I never solved the problem using this
>> technique, instead I got on the far side of a T1  :-)

I was intending to up the throughput of my system with a second V.34 link.
I realy thought that TCP/IP was designed for this type of thing, and that
FreeBSD would do it without a second look. If it won't we should find a way
to make it, since a second phone line is a hundredth of the price of an ISDN
line here in Australia, and the throughput is comparable. My normal connect
speed is 24400, and the phone lines stay up for as long as a month at a time.

Cheers,
Peter>>    discussing.