Date:      Sat, 28 Feb 1998 10:25:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        root@mantar.slip.netcom.com (Manfred Antar)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, tlambert@primenet.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM: Process hangs sleeping on vmpfw

> > > I got that message on console last night and rebooted
> > > did fsck and have not seen it lately. do i need to do anything ?
> >
> > It would help to know what filesystems you're running, and whether you
> > are using any LKMs.  Do you rebuild your LKMs when you update your
> > kernel?
> >
> > The message indicates a potentially dangerous incompatability between
> > one or more filesystems and other parts of the kernel.  If this is due
> > to oversight on our part, we would very much like to know so that it
> > can be remedied ASAP.
>
> I've got NFS FFS MFS MSDOS CD9660 PROCFS compiled in kernel everything is
> mounted local on 1 4.3gig scsi drive:
> /dev/sd0a on /
> /dev/sd0s1e /var
> /dev/sd0s1f /usr
>
> I don't use any LKM's and did a make world today at noon with current
> as of then. I only saw the message once last night repeated 3 time on
> xterm console.I have not noticed any problems

This shows that you did not have anything other than FFS mounted.  The
warning can not occur with FFS.

What this means is that the vnode pager was called to read in or write
out pages on an FS that doesn't have a VOP_{GET|PUT}PAGES, and didn't
have the legacy code referenced via stub functions.

In simple terms, this means:

(1)	You had something other than an FFS filesystem mounted, and
	you aren't telling us about it.  If you tell us about it, it's
	a simple fix (less than a minute).

(2)	Something is erroneously attempting a paging operation using
	an erroneous FS type.  This is more serious, in that it means
	we are now catching some very bad behaviour that we didn't
	know about before.  This is more complicated, because according
	to what we know about FreeBSD, you aren't supposed to need to
	do paging on an FS type that's not being used.  It means that
	someone, somewhare, is probably stomping on a vnode's operations
	vector.  We would need to change the warning to a panic, wait
	for you to repeat the problem, and then post-mortem the system
	dump to get things like a stack trace.

I'm betting it's #1, though...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org