Date:      Sat, 21 Nov 1998 15:26:12 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Robert Huff <rhuff@cybercom.net>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ALPHA stuff on 3.0 CD]

> 	OK, I'm going to be lazy here.  I looked at:
>
> 	ABOUT.TXT
> 	README.TXT
> 	INSTALL.TXT
> 	LAYOUT.TXT
> 	HARDWARE.TXT
> 	RELNOTES.TXT
> 	UPGRADE.TXT

With the exception of RELNOTES.TXT and HARDWARE.TXT, these are all
fairly generic docs.  The two I mentioned *do* need to be "localized"
with a list of hardware more germain to the ALPHA, but since we don't
have a master list of which machines FreeBSD/alpha even runs on yet,
that's a bit premature.  It's certainly planned, but without the
requisite info it's also not possible (yet).

If you see floppies/README.TXT on an ALPHA distribution, you'll see
specific information on installing on the Alpha which is about as much
as needs documenting at this very early stage of the Alpha port.  I'm
not trying to make it equivalent to FreeBSD/x86 here, simply to give
the (very) early adopters enough info to install and start playing
with it.  Around Jan/Feb, which is when 3.0.1 is due, we'll start
making a more serious effort to make the two architecture ports
equivalent.  Any people wishing to dive on the docs in the meantime
are more than welcome!  FOO.TXT.${ARCH} in /usr/src/release/texts
perhaps?

- Jordan