Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2006 18:56:46 +1000
From:      Malcolm Fitzgerald <mfitzgerald@pacific.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Shell scripting question [newby]

I'm trying to follow the instructions at
<http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-upgrade-5.4-to-6.0/>;

At point four it offers this shell script.

cut -f 1 -d '$' /usr/local/freebsd-update/work/md5all | uniq |
         while read X; do
                 if [ -f $X ]; then echo $X; fi;
         done | sort > /root/base-old

Running this from root shell in konsole (bash) I get "while: Expression
Syntax". The various hints and clues I get from the shell, the web and
man bash haven't helped me. Would someone provide the correct syntax
for me?

thanks

malcolm