Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:44:40 -0500
From:      "Oliver, Michael W." <oliver.michael@gargantuan.com>
To:        'Scott Stevens ' <myxlplyx@fuse.net>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org '" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Wierd network issues on LAN - hard to describe

Wow, sure have seen a lot of questions like this lately.  Try adding entries
in your /etc/hosts file for your internal hosts and then retry your
connections to ssh/pop3/whatever.  If this solves your problem (which I
think it might), then you have DNS issues (specifically, FreeBSD not being
able to resolve the names of your internal hosts).  If you have a small
network, and use static IP addresses, then updating /etc/hosts is most
likely the easiest fix.  HTH.....

Michael Oliver