Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 06:35:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu (Allen Smith)
Cc:        ark@eltex.ru, kev@lab321.ru, mike@smith.net.au, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Packet/traffic shapper ?

> Not to get back into the debate regarding ALTQ's "ugliness", the
> primary thing I was looking at ALTQ for was the RED (Random Early
> Detection) capability of ALTQ, so that I can get the lower-priority
> TCP streams to drop back their bandwidth when they're getting too
> much.

Your statement seems a bit strange because with RED there are no
priorities.

In any case, RED support is very very very easy to add to dummynet.
To get the idea, the most difficult part is the ipfw code to pass
RED parameters to the kernel!

I may do it in the future when i have a need for this, if somebody does
not beat me.

	cheers
	luigi