Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:55:29 +0100 (CET)
From:      Barry Bouwsma <freebsd-misuser@remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk>
To:        FreeBSD USB list <freebsd-usb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   A CDC Ethernet driver in progress, adapted from NetBSD

I just wanted to mention that if nobody else is working on a CDC
Ethernet driver for inclusion in FreeBSD, I've taken the codes
from NetBSD and OpenBSD, based on Bill Paul's work, and selected
the NetBSD one to adapt for FreeBSD 4.x to see whether I stand a
chance to have it work with a Cabal Modem.

If someone else is working on this, I should probably give up now
and play with something else.

The code appears to have been written for PDAs and the like.
For DOCSIS Cabal Moda/Modii/whatever, there seems to be missing
the selection of an alternate index or something.  Also, the
NetBSD code is missing quite a bit of the dequeueing and such
that the latest FreeBSD seems to use.

Functionally, it seems to 3/4 work.  I'm building the latest NetBSD
to verify if it works as expected there.  I can hear all the packets
coming in.  I'm not sure if any packets really make it out, or if
the Cabal Modem refuses DHCP or other outgoing traffic on the USB
interface.

The code is ugly with my hacks, and I should spend the good part
of a day cleaning it up, and making sure that my selection of
data interface doesn't break PDAs and such.

If I don't have NetBSD success with my device, there's also Linux
support, that I should be able to try and verify my modem, before
I unleash more broken code on the rest of the world.

Expect a few days before I'm willing to shame myself by letting
anyone view my hacks.  Unless someone else is working on this.
Someone familiar with, say, 6.x and 5.x locking will need to adapt
it to -current, if it is to stand any chance to see the world.

thanks
barry bouwsma