Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 11:25:21 -0800
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>, Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New scheduler

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 01:58:33PM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 08:47:41PM -0800, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > >
> > > It did not help.  The load averages reported be top(1)
> > > with the above change in palce are 7.86, 9.01, 8.72.
> >
> > Jeff, it isn't the painkillers.  The 2nd sentence should read "The load
> > averages, reported by top(1)  with the above change in place, are 7.86,
> > 9.01, 8.72"
>
> Part of the problem is that the load average is a poor measure of system
> utilization.  Jeff's new scheduler may defer scheduling a process that's
> ready to run to improve throughput and wait for a "better" CPU to run a
> process on based on affinity.  Potentially the result might be that the
> run queues are (on average) deeper, and what the load average does is
> measure the depth of the run queue over time.  So for the moment, it's
> probably best to disregard load average as a measure of performance.  On
> the other hand, actual interactivity regressions and performance changes
> are very relevant.  Load average is intended to capture the degree of
> contention for CPU resources, but what exactly that means is always an
> interesting question.

Robert, I'm sure your analysis is correct.  All I can
say is that Jeff's experimental scheduler will bring
a UP system to its knees.  The system I tested on
runs NTP to sync the clock, and the system clock lost
6 minutes of wall-clock time in 45 minutes.  The two
possible causes of the problem (that I can think of)
are (1) deadlock in the scheduler or (2) processes are
ping-ponging between run queues without actually getting
a time slice.  Unfortunately, I was running X window
at the time and could not break into the debugger.  I'll
try again later today to what ddb says.

--
Steve