Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 1999 11:29:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      papowell@astart.com
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   picobsd-MOD.1.0.1

OK OK, I published the set of changes I made to picoBSD

  - now uses Makefiles
  - has a very sophisticated (stop snickering back there)
    way to specify files to be put on the MFS file system
  - you can build a single image (MFS in kernel image),
    a two file image (kernel, MFS in separate files),
    and two floppies (kernel and /boot stuff on one floppy,
    MFS and /etc... stuff on other floppy) by just setting
    a couple of flags.
  - way things are built is specified in a CONFIG file,

    make CONFIG=filename   (filename is CONFIG by default)

Well, I needed to build another floppy with some more stuff on it,
and discovered a couple of ummm....uuhh.. bugs... in the Makefiles.
Having a few minutes to spare,  I fixed up a couple of things,
including adding 'distclean',  making the dependencies better
so that less gets rebuilt when you modify a file,  and stuff gets
rebuilt when you do.

Get the distribution from:

ftp://ftp.astart.com/pub/LPRng/PICOBSD/picobsd-MOD.1.0.1.tgz

Note 1:

You can now put

MFS_ADDITIONS=filename

and the make commands in filename will be executed just before the
MFS system build completes.  This allows you to mangle, molest, and
corrupt the standard MFS build in ways suitable for the 'dial' or other
things.  It is also a nice place to try to put files or executables
which crunch does not handle. Remember to static link these.

You can also do

FLOPPY_ADDITIONS=filename

and have some files added to the floppy.

Enjoy.

Patrick Powell                 Astart Technologies,
papowell@astart.com            9475 Chesapeake Drive, Suite D,
Network and System             San Diego, CA 92123
  Consulting                   619-874-6543 FAX 619-279-8424
LPRng - Print Spooler (http://www.astart.com)