Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 10:00:18 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, sos@sos.freebsd.dk, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building RAID systems

> Actually, you should go back and look at what SCSI drive prices are
> doing at the moment.  I can get a 5400 RPM 4GB ultra scsi IBM disk for
> less than 30% more than the corresponding IDE model.  IBM's pricing is
> pretty keen at the moment.

I think the original poster's comments are still well taken, and we
need to keep supporting SCSI so that we can get the price/perf ratio
back on our side of the fence! ;-).

For example, I was pretty flabbergasted to see the following prices at
the Price Club yesterday (a local superstore which buys things in bulk
and sells them to members, "things" being everything from computers
and russian night-vision devices to Kayaks and wood burning stoves):

	IDE 6.1 GB drive:  $549
	IDE 3.6 GB drive:  $340

If Joe Blow is looking for capacity over speed, it's hard to see how
he'll be able to resist deals like that in favor of SCSI options.

Sigh. :-(

				Jordan