Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 21:56:39 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        Eric Boucher <eric_boucher60@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SAMBA: different usrname&passwd on NT&UNIX,but...

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 01:22:08PM -0700, Eric Boucher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to have a single user on an NT machine that as a
> completely different username and password than the one on a Unix
> machine, but to be able to recognize that when the user logs on the
> NT machine, it is in fact a user in unix and have is home and all is
> privilege recognize? Lets say that my user as a username :toto on the
> unix system with the password: daemon and that the same user as a
> username on the NT box :beavor and a password: apple. All I want to
> do is that when "beavor" log in with the password "apple", if he clic
> on the shares, he is recognize as "toto" without having to enter the
> password "daemon". I think that it's something to do with the mapping,
> but I'm a little bit confuse. Can somebody help me?

You want to use the "username map" parameter in your smb.conf file,
smb.conf(5).

Basically what you do is create a file that has the name mappings with
the unix name on the left and the the NT name on the right, separated by
an equal sign.  Then specify the username map parameter in smb.conf with
the path to the map file you created.

The manual page goes into detail about this including how to map groups.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@charter.net