Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 23:02:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   broadcast video

Greetings!
   Forgive my obvious ignorance but could someone give me
the 25 cent explanation of the issues involved in broadcast
video (i.e. mbone) technology?
   In particular:
* what types of compression rates are used in the video codecs
* what sort of network bandwidth is consumed
* is this "full motion" video (or something at a slower frame rate)
* how much involvement is required on the part of the processor
* to what extent can hardware (i.e. codecs) affect these values
* what are the hidden "down side" issues

   I'm looking into using such a scheme in an embedded application.
As such, I can control the other traffic on the network, etc.
But, is this stuff "real"?  Or, still too experimental??

Thanks for your time!
--don