Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:46:33 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Looking for reviewers for patch that adds foreign disk support mfiutil

On Sunday, February 17, 2013 1:06:40 pm Steven Hartland wrote:
> Hi all I'm looking for someone to review the attached patch
> to mfiutil which adds foreign disk support to mfiutil as
> per:
>
> Any and all feedback welcome :)

Some suggestions:

- Please stick with FreeBSD style, e.g. please use:

    if (foo == NULL)

  rather than:

    if (NULL == foo)

  I understand the reasons for the latter style (turn accidental assignments
  into compile errors) but I don't buy them because 1) modern compilers can
  already catch such things, but most importantly 2) it doesn't read
  correctly.  Above all else code should be readable, and one doesn't say
  "if NULL the pointer is" (unless one is Yoda), but "if the pointer is NULL".
- Don't make dump_config() use a default prefix, just fix the existing call
  to dump_config() to pass in a prefix.
- Is dump_config() really the right choice for 'foreign config'?  It doesn't
  attempt to output things very pretty, and I think mfiutil's non-debug
  commands should aim to be human readable.
- This (human readable) is also why it doesn't include the opcode in the error
  message by default.  Sysadmins don't really care which opcode fails.  Maybe
  put that under '#ifdef DEBUG'?
- mfireg.h should be kept in sync with the driver's version of that header, so
  don't reorder the enum's unless you are changing it to match what is in the
  device driver's mfireg.h.  In fact, mfiutil should probably be using the
  mfireg.h from sys/dev/mfi directly now that it is in the tree.  (mfiutil
  was originally developed outside of the tree as a standalone app)
- Leaving out the 'MFI_DCMD_' prefix from the opcode description was
  intentional.  If you are ever fortunate enough to examine the manuals from
  LSI, they refer to the firmware commands as 'LD_CONFIG', etc.  (Maybe it's
  'MR_LD_CONFIG'?)  The MFI_DCMD_ prefix is specific to the FreeBSD driver.
- Please don't do assignments in declarations and leave a blank line between
  declarations and the bode of code.  Thus:

     mfi_op_desc(...)
     {
         int i, num_ops;

         num_ops = nitems(mfi_op_codes);

  (nitems() is nice to use when it is available as well)
- Reindent the call to mfi_ldprobe() if CFG_ADD or CFG_FOREIGN_IMPORT
  succeeds.

--
John Baldwin