Date:      Fri, 05 May 1995 06:06:07 +0900
From:      NIIMI Satoshi <sa2c@and.or.jp>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ache@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Can someone explain the various forms of Japanese text encoding?

> >  * 		      Given that I also have *no* Japanese fonts for
> >  * syscons, I'm also somewhat limited in that dept. anyway.  There is a
> >  * format I can display with the ISO8859-1 font, according to Satoshi,
> >  * though I'm still a little unclear on how it works.
> >
> > According to ME?!?  When did I say that? ;)  I don't think that's
> > possible.... :<
>
> Sorry, wrong Satoshi - NIIMI Satoshi (which is the first and which is
> the last name I'm still trying to figure out with you guys! :-).

I didn't say that.  I said that romaji version of usage.hlp uses only
ISO-8859-1 characters, so how about to call it ja_JP.ISO8859-1
version.  Sorry for confusing you.

The locale name xx_YY.ZZZZ means xx is language name, YY is country
code, and ZZZZ is encoding.

Talking about Japanese written in romaji, language is Japanese, used
in Japan (I don't know if there are other countries in which Japanese
is used though :-), and encoding is ISO-8859-1.
--
NIIMI Satoshi