Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 08:50:34 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@freebsd.org
To:        durham@durham (Jim Durham)
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Specs on a Hitachi CM2085me monitor anybody ??

> > > 	Well, a shareware  BIOS (Dr.Bios) exists out  there -- does it come
> > > 	with sources ?
> >
> > You don't need to hack the video BIOS (its the one on the video
> > card you would want to change not the motherboard one :) ), it
> > should do it by makeing an extra BIOS rom whith the needed code
> > in it, at let it register AFTER the std video BIOS has done its trick.
> >

> Hmmm... where would you plug it in?

Maybe in an empty bootprom socket on a netcard :)

> I wasn't aware that you could replace the video mode set routines
> in the BIOS with code from another ROM, as you do with drivers, etc.

You can do all kinds of nasty things like this i a PC architecture
that is exactly why its such a pain in the a...

> Just where does syscons.c start functioning in the boot process? What
> messages would you see if you just hacked the starting mode in the
> syscons.c file to work with the fixed-freq monitors? Would you only
> miss the AMI BIOS messages about system config?

You would get output from where syscons takes over, that is after
the first call to scinit. In effect it would look like what you get
from a dmesg. You would miss everything up to that point. You could
also hack the boot manager to do resonable things to you video
mode, then you would be in business even earlier...

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.