Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 13:07:18 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Christopher Harrer" <charrer@alacritech.com>
Cc:        "Freebsd-Hackers" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cache Questions

> Hello All,
>
> We're working on a driver for a PCI card, we're currently running into a
> problem that's symptomatic of a cache coherency problem.  We have a area of
> memory that we manipulate and pass a physical address to our card.  In other
> OS's (Linux, NT), before we manipulate this memory area, we mark the area as
> non-cachable.  Are there similar operations/system calls we can use in
> FreeBSD?  Are there any FAQ's, Docs or man-pages that explain memory
> usage/attributes?

Take a look at <sys/memrange.h>, and particularly mem_range_attr_set().

*However*, since the PC architecture is strongly cache coherent, you
probably have a problem with the design or implementation of your
driver:adapter protocol.  Marking an entire region of memory as
uncacheable is *very* inefficient; there are much better ways of
maintaining synchronisation without doing this.