Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:58:58 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How is selection made of what goes into CDrom?

As Francisco Reyes wrote:

>  Alternatively a list of where the sources are
> in the first CD and a small script to get a program out would be just
> as good. For example recently I wanted to look at the source code for
> "renice". Getting the entire usr.bin took too much space.

Where's what shouldn't be that hard to guess, since the various source
tarballs just represent the subdirs of /usr/src, which are in turn
closely related (though not 100 % sure) to the target directory in the
tree.  Suppose you're looking for the source of /bin/ls, it'll be in
/usr/src/bin/ls.  Or /usr/sbin/ppp can be found in /usr/src/usr.sbin/ppp.
That's all explained in hier(7).

Finally, the various s<foo>.?? files are just split .tar.gz files, so
you can always extract from there what you want.  That's rather a Unix
beginner's exercise. ;-)  (<== "non-aggressive smiley" :-)

So for your example "renice":

j@uriah 164% whereis -b renice
renice: /usr/bin/renice

Ok, we need the /usr/src/usr.bin/ tarball then ("subin" ==
"src/usr.bin"):

j@uriah 165% cd /usr/src
j@uriah 166% cat /cdrom/src/subin.?? | tar -xvzf - usr.bin/renice
usr.bin/renice/
usr.bin/renice/CVS/
usr.bin/renice/CVS/Root
usr.bin/renice/CVS/Repository
usr.bin/renice/CVS/Entries
usr.bin/renice/CVS/Tag
usr.bin/renice/Makefile
usr.bin/renice/renice.8
usr.bin/renice/renice.c

(If you don't want the CVS/ files, add "--exclude CVS" to the tar
options.)

Disclaimer: my 2.2.5 CDs didn't arrive yet, so i don't know what's
there on which CD at all.

--
cheers, J"org