Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 2009 17:50:27 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of deprecation for network_interfaces != AUTO

--jq0ap7NbKX2Kqbes

So based on the feedback I saw, there were two use cases where there
wasn't another easy way to do what setting network_interface's.  Yours
(though I think my suggestion may well work) and Matthew Seaman's which
won't actually work in 8.0 without other config changes.  In both cases,
those uses reflect a failure to support valid use cases which is a good
reason to leave the ability to set network_interfaces in place.

That being said I'd still like to see the warning restored because:
 - It doesn't prevent using these workarounds.
 - It reduces support issues due to misuse.
   - Most reported uses were in fact wrong.
 - Removing network_interfaces will help us move toward a state of more
   dynamic configuration to better match system realities.

-- Brooks

--jq0ap7NbKX2Kqbes

--jq0ap7NbKX2Kqbes--