Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 23:00:02 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another cool hack with FreeBSD...

>> A few points you might want to consider here, based on how we are set up...
>>
>>       At least in our area, two normal phone lines would cost only $3
>> less than we pay for flat-rate ISDN (About $55 a month).
>
>As long as you're not paying per-minute charges.
>
>Ameritech charges businesses per-minute connect charges for outgoing ISDN
>calls.  Ameritech does not charge per-minute for POTS calls.
>
>With the several hundred dollars a month that a dual-channel ISDN link would
>cost, I could easily justify a dozen POTS lines on each end just in
>per-minute savings.  If I were transferring text (compressible data) on a 4
>line 28.8K setup, I could approach 230.4kbps (57.6 * 4) on my nifty serial
>gizmo, twice the speed for a third the cost.  ISDN doesn't generally do
>compression.  :-)

No. But you can compress the data going into the line. The better TA's will
do that for you. You can also run sync rather than async. That is worth an
extra 25% in throughput.

I'm not saying that you cannot win at "beat the tariff". I just think you
should play fairly and not fudge on the numbers.

Some tariffs are measured for "data" (64k) but unmeasured for "voice" (56k).
As a result, the better ISDN boxes will set up a voice call and then send
data at 7K rather than the full 8K.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net