Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 22:34:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        USER <rage-n@swbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help

On Wed, 21 May 1997, USER wrote:

> i just got a copy of freebsd and have installed it, and eliminated all
> the conflicts. I am running it on a home pc 486dx 100mhz with 16m ram
> in hopes to learn more about unix. I seem to have this problem where i
> cant figure out how to run the games or xwindows. When i try to run a
> file it says cannot find command, do i need to gunzip anything? Do i
> need to set a different path? I went with the defaults. What am i doing
> wrong? why can i not execute anything it says i have access rights.

You might not have installed games; I won't comment on Xwindows.  But
the guide for users new to FreeBSD and unix might answer a lot of
your questions (like why it can't find a command).  See

http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/newuser/newuser.html
or the copy on my own server (a single document, instead of broken
up into HTML chunks) at
http://andrsn.stanford.edu/FreeBSD/newuser.html

Annelise