Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:00:18 +0800
From:      "David Xu" <davidx@viasoft.com.cn>
To:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014697142.ec6613@mired.org>
Cc:        "Danny J. Zerkel" <dzerkel@columbus.rr.com>, "Aleksander Rozman - Andy" <andy@kksonline.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Clearcase and FreeBSD

> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> types:
> > "Danny J. Zerkel" wrote:
> > > Maybe cvs is an academic toy.  Most real development requires a =
real
> > > configuration management system.  Why do you think there is work =
being done
> > > on FreeBSD in Perforce?
> > Frankly, it's because CVS only permits a single line of
> > concurrent developement, and it's a limiting tool; but
> > CVSup is CVS-centric and fails with P4, and P4 costs money as a
> > barrier to adoption for FreeBSD if the project were to cut over to
> > it,
>=20
> Not necessarily. The client is free, and in the ports tree.  That
> includes the server with an evaluation license, which limits it to two
> clients and two users. Perforce offers Open Source software projects
> free multiuser - which means unlimited clients - licenses. See <URL:
> http://www.perforce.com/perforce/price.html > and search for "open
> source" on the page. They even point to the FreeBSD license as a good
> choice for a candidate.
>=20
> > so there's understandable backpressure against using it for the main
> > repository.
>=20
> I think the real pressure is that none of the sources are
> available. Last time I checked, they didn't even publish a description
> of the protocol between the server and the client, so you can't
> independently develop a client. They *do* provide a link library for
> all their build platforms that you can use to build custom clients,
> but you don't get source to that.
>=20
> I admit to being biased, but I think that switching would be an
> incredible win for everyone concerned.
>=20
> <mike
> --
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
> Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more =
information.
>=20

Does Perforce support replicate like FreeBSD's current CVSUP support?
if not,  how does it support large number of users or connections?=20
is it a trend that FreeBSD community will migrated to use Perforce =
instead=20
of CVS? I prompt these because I feel somebodies try to create two=20
FreeBSD source repositories :(
Am I wrong?

Thanks,
--