Date:      Wed, 7 May 2008 11:29:31 -0400
From:      Sean Cavanaugh <millenia2000@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Ports/Packages Philosophy

> Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 07:53:37 -0600
> From: modulok@gmail.com
> To: ewqdsacxz900@yahoo.com
> CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Ports/Packages Philosophy
>=20
> On 5/6/08, Dsiuh Djsids <ewqdsacxz900@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am interested to know what some of your software installing/updating
> > philosophies are regarding ports/packages on either a server or a home
> > desktop. For example, how often do you update your software and when yo=
u do,
> > do you run something like 'portupgrade -a' or individually take care of=
 each
> > piece of software?
>=20
>=20
> Upgrades...unless they're very pressing security issues that directly rel=
ate
> to the well-being of my server, I upgrade as rarely as possible. Upgradin=
> things has a tendency to break stuff at the most inopportune time. Frankl=
y,
> I'm not sure why everyone is so adamant about having the latest updates. =
If
> the program does what I require, I would rather have a more aged version
> which has been given time to get the bugs worked out.
>=20
> As far as building software, I do this as rarely as possible as well. Unl=
ess
> there is a specific functionality which requires a set of non-default
> compiler flags, I use packages. It makes no sense to waste time re-compil=
ing
> the same program, with the same compiler options, for the same processor
> architecture as has already been done by countless others. For example, i=
> you ran a lab of 300 identical computers, would you re-compile every prog=
ram
> on each computer? Probably not. If I can get a pre-compiled binary from a
> reliable source, I'd rater do that, than sit around all day waiting for
> software to build in hopes of benefiting from a few custom build options.
>=20

something to think about to is that the ports collection will be more curre=
nt than packages.
Example of this is GNOME 2.16 being listed in packages collection for a whi=
le after GNOME 2.18 came out.
If you use a custom kernel, ports would be compiled to run a bit more optim=
ized for your processor (i.e. 686) than the GENERIC kernel (486-586-686) bu=
t good coding of the program should not have this kind of reliance anyway.

if you want the system up and running fast with known working versions, def=
initely stick with packages.
if you want the latest software, use ports and keep them upgraded.

its always a personal call.

Get Free (PRODUCT) RED=99  Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics.
http://joinred.spaces.live.com?ocid=3DTXT_HMTG_prodredemoticons_052008=