Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 2003 23:41:35 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        randall ehren <randall@ucsb.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: buildworld/installworld problem

On Monday 13 January 2003 07:17 pm, randall ehren wrote:
> hi,
>  i have a machine that i use for building freebsd for a bunch of
> other machines. in my old setup, all worked well, but now i am
> experiencing a few problems which seem related to symlinking and
> mount points.
>
>  in the old setup /usr/src & /usr/obj were just your typical
> partitions on a single disk, as in:
>
>  /dev/da0s1g=09/usr/src
>  /dev/da0s1h=09/usr/obj
>
>  in the new setup /usr/src & /usr/obj are on the same partition,
> symlinked as follows:
>
>  /dev/ccd0c=09/array
>
>  /usr/src --> /array/src
>  /usr/obj --> /array/obj
>
>  on this machine, make buildworld works fine. installworld works just
> as well.
>
>  however, when i go to do a make installworld on a client (having
> mounted /usr/src & /usr/obj via NFS) it dies right here:
>
>   echo \#'define __FreeBSD_version' $RELDATE >> osreldate.h;  echo
> "#endif" >> osreldate.h touch: not found
>   *** Error code 127
>
>   Stop in /usr/src/include.
>   *** Error code 1
>
>  now if i do the following:
>  % ln -s /usr/obj/array /usr/obj/usr
>
>  then run make installworld again, all is well until it gets to:
>
>   ln -s
> /usr/src/lib/libncurses/../../contrib/ncurses/man/curs_addch.3x
> curs_addch.3 ln: curs_addch.3: File exists
>   *** Error code 1
>
>   Stop in /usr/src/lib/libncurses.
>   *** Error code 1
>
>  after searching on google for that error, it turns up that i can use
> the -k flag with make. if i then run make -k installworld it spits up
> many errors (all related to ncurses) but completes the install.
>
>  ideally i would like to have this machine build -stable & -release
> as we have client machines of different needs, so i envisioned having
> a nice ccd raid-0 of disks to hold the builds.
>
>  any ideas? thanks.

you did the build and it has to look like that on the clients. If you=20
link /array/src as /usr/src, make knows it was really /array/src. You=20
would have to nfs_mount /array/src and link it to /usr/src. Why do that=20
when you could have created a partition on the array slice called src=20
and mounted it as /usr/src. Then, you could nfs_mount that partition as=20
/usr/src and everything is happy.

Kent

--=20
Kent Stewart