Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:24:29 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
To:        Niklas Saers <berenmls@saers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail

> >Also, places like ORBS check for that form of `relay protection' and
> >will list you if you allow it.
>
> I know. I like spam-protection, but this is to much for my taste!

there are check_local patches (link from the dul page on maps.vix.com)
which let you set up dbm's for spam_haters and spam_friends so you can
set spam_haters as people that really, really don't want spam (and use
orbs for them), normal as dul+maps, and spam_friends as no protection.

> Do mail-clients use AuthSMTP??

Netscape and Outbreak do, possibly some more as well.

> What are the alternatives to using sendmail, anyway?

Specifically re:AuthSMTP, I'm not sure, but in general I'd say qmail,
exim, and postfix all certainly warrant a look. Check your freebsd
mailing list received lines for postfix, I'm sure you already know
of qmail, and Exim is used by some very large isps (1.5 million+
accounts) and a number of universities. I am sure there are more as
well, and if a mailer doesn't support authsmtp as standard it's
worth digging around for patches if you want to try.

Regarding ms clients inability to pop before smtp, you can always
have your users run a simple pop3 mailbox checking program and
run that before they use your smtp...

Stuart