Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 2009 10:55:56 -0500
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Johannes Dieterich <dieterich.joh@googlemail.com>
Subject:   Re: Xorg hangs on first boot

--=-/RwAX2Wz5ZFqYS1ECeyG

On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 12:26 +0300, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2009, Johannes Dieterich wrote:
>=20
> JD> | yes, I'm the next person to report Xorg upgrade problems ;)
> JD> |
> JD> | After thorough upgrade (ugh!!!) almost all work as expected, except
> JD> one thing:
> JD> |
> JD> | on initial machine boot, X starts, gdm executes -- and then this
> JD> console is not
> JD> | responded to either keyboard or mouse; however, I can switch to tex=
> JD> console,
> JD> | log in and kill X server. After that, everything works correctly.
> JD> |
> JD> | Any hints? Thank you in advance.

This sounds like the dbus/hald/gdm race on startup.  A partial solution
has been proposed upstream.  My priority list has FreeBSD specific
issues at the top, but if I find time I may try to finish the work to
fix it upstream.  If some dbus aware person wants to help out, just ping
me and I can point you at the right bit of code.

robert.

> JD> Just an idea: I saw excactly this behaviour with my keyboard and mous=
> JD> (both USB, is this the case for you?) Setting
> JD>=20
> JD> Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
> JD>=20
> JD> in xorg.conf as described in UPDATING solved it for me (despite that =
it
> JD> should not be needed anymore at all and especially not for keyboards.=
. :-) )
>=20
> Nope, that's not my case, as I have PS/2 input devices and do have enable=
d=20
> dbus/hald (I use gnome, so they were enabled anyway)

--=20
Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD

--=-/RwAX2Wz5ZFqYS1ECeyG