Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:18:57 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        David G Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, sclawson@cs.utah.edu, mike@fast.cs.utah.edu
Subject:   Re: nfs/amd hangs / getattr request flood problem

>    We're in the process of configuring some new machines (for personal and
> distributed build farm use), and we're seeing some atrocities with amd.
> The machines are running 3.0-RELEASE (plus the last few days of checked in
> fixes).  They receive AMD maps via NIS and a static map, but disabling NIS
> doesn't affect things.  We've made significant tweaks to the rest of the
> system configuration (disabling nis, mfs, slowing things down, etc) and
> tried it on multiple systems, and the problem keeps popping up.  This
> behavior isn't exhibited in 2.2.x.
>
> We have AMD looking at /n/{machine}/path, with the actual mounts on
> /a/{machine}.  When compiling with a source tree on /n/machine/path and an
> object tree on local /z, AMD can use up to 50% of the processor.  Ktrace
> and tcpdump output shows that it's handling around 150 getattr requests
> per second, on "/n" and "/n/machine", and the ktrace indicates that that's
> the _only_ thing it's doing.

This may be related to a known defect in the BSD NFS code; we don't
cache getattr requests nor do we cache access requests.

> There don't seem to be any references to this in gnats or on the lists.
> We're working on forward-porting the 2.2.x amd to 3.0 to see if the
> behavior still exists, but in the meantime, if anyone has suggestions /
> thoughts / knows what's wrong and wants to clue me in, it'd be greatly
> appreciated. :)

2.2 has the same problems, although it's amd may not suffer the
consequences.  You can save yourself a lot of effort by resurrecting
the 3.0 AMD from the attic (check out the relevant directories a few
days before the new AM-utils stuff went in).