Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 1996 00:36:42 -0500
From:      "Randall D. DuCharme" <randyd@nconnect.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Can't mount /

Greetings,

	Now I did it!  I just finished upgrading 3 of my machines to
2.1.5-Release.  I put together a fourth one out of some spare parts.  It's
an early 486 with a single channel IDE controller.  I wanted to use up a
couple small IDE drives I had but had to leave one out so I could install
from an ATAPI CD.  I set up the first drive and installed the intended
distrubutions to the disk.  I then removed the CD and installed the 2nd
hard disk.  I was trying to follow the instructions in the FAQ about adding
a 2nd disk.  I got messages that the required devices didn't exist.  Upon
examining the the contents of the /dev directory, I found the all the
devices for wd0, but several for wd1 were missing.  Anyway I went to work
with MAKEDEV and totally hosed the installation.  Now I can only boot to
single user mode ?? and read only.  The required devices for wd0 are now
missing.  Can I possibly recover from this one without re-installing the
whole thing???

Thanks

Randy