Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 97 01:35:20 +0100
From:      Ben Stuyts <benst@terminus.stuyts.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   uucp errors after upgrading ZyXEL modem to ISDN

Second try, apologies if you've seen this twice.

Dear net,

I have upgraded my ZyXEL Elite modem to ISDN. Since then I am having
intermittent problems with uucp sessions: sometimes packets arrive with bad
checksums or out of order. Sometimes whole sessions go without any problem.

I only see this problem with high-speed ISDN connections. There are no
problems with V34 (max 28.8k) connections. It looks like a handshake problem,
but it isn't. I have checked both the lights on the front panel of the modem,
and with an rs232 tester. RTS goes off and on. The modem is configured for
rts/cts handshaking. I am using the i protocol with default 1024/16 windows.
There are no sio overflow errors in the console.

I am running freebsd 2.2 gamma up to ctm 148. The machine has a Pentium 166
on a Gigabyte 586DX motherboard, and I am using the built-in serial ports.
(cuaa0 in this case.) I have set up /etc/rc.serial to init port 0 as a modem
port. Port speed is set to 115200. The ZyXEL's firmware is v2.04. My ISP is
using an Ascend router.

When I try to ftp or zmodem a large file, using ppp over this same modem, and
to the same provider, I get no errors. (At least, the transfer rate is what
it should be, and netstat -i shows no errors.)

Some of the things I tried:
- Disabled the on-board serial ports and used an ISA card with two 16c550's on it.
- Played with the window settings of the i-protocol.
- Played with /etc/rc.serial
- Upgraded the modem's firmware to 2.05.
- Upgraded /usr/src/ to ctm 187.
All to no avail...

Any ideas?

Thanks,