Date:      Fri, 5 May 1995 00:00:24 +0200
From:      Frank Nobis <fn@trinity.radio-do.de>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        archive@cps.cmich.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org, jim@reptiles.org
Subject:   Re: AST 4 port, pppd and FreeBSD 2.0--950412-SNAP

    >> I am getting ready to switch two linux boxes to FreeBSD to run
    >> our dial in lines each box has two AST fourports in them. Would
    >> some be kind enough to help me set up the kernel config file to
    >> file these

This is what I use in my kernel config

options		"COM_MULTIPORT"		#Multiport support in sys/isa/sio.c
#device		sio9	at isa? port 0x2b8 tty irq 5 flags 0x901 vector siointr
#device		sio8	at isa? port 0x2b0 tty flags 0x901 vector siointr
#device		sio7	at isa? port 0x2a8 tty flags 0x901 vector siointr
#device		sio6	at isa? port 0x2a0 tty flags 0x901 vector siointr
device		sio5	at isa? port 0x1b8 tty irq 9 flags 0x501 vector siointr
device		sio4	at isa? port 0x1b0 tty flags 0x501 vector siointr
device		sio3	at isa? port 0x1a8 tty flags 0x501 vector siointr
device		sio2	at isa? port 0x1a0 tty flags 0x501 vector siointr
device		sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr

This is one 4 port AST compatible card on irq 2 aka 9 and the two
standard serial ports com1 and com2.

    Bruce> See the man page (sio.4).

    >> And is there a way to put all four of the AST cards into one
    >> machine???

My AST clone has only two IO address spaces low as above and a high space
with 0x2a0, 0x2a8, 0x2b0 and 0x2b8. If your cards has more than this
two it is possible as long as there are 4 irq lines available.