Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 1999 21:05:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   bsd.port.mk

Hi porters.. I've looked at some ports I'm making and noticed another thing
bsd.port.mk could possibly have.

For example, some distributions have a compiled binary (i.e., author forgot to
remove them for the distribution). Thus, perhaps something like this is in
order:

CLEAN_FIRST=    YES

where it will add to post-extract (or pre-build):

.if defined(CLEAN_FIRST)
        @$(cd ${WRKSRC} && ${MAKE} clean)
.endif

Could possibly have a CLEAN_TARGET variable as well and change "clean" to
${CLEAN_TARGET}. I'm assuming ${MAKE} takes into account USE_GMAKE.

Also, we won't need to check that ${WRKSRC} variable, as we're building in
${WRKSRC} anyway.. so if there's no binaries compiled there (or objfiles), then
no need to clean anywhere else.

My bet is, however, that PW will think this is additional cruft that is not
necessary. But I thought I'd mention it anyway. ;-)

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>