Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 10:55:48 +0000
From:      "Neil Long" <neil.long@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HP Travan tape drive

Hi

Just suscribed to questions and trawled the archives.

I need to recover data off a Travan TR4 tape, I scrounged a HP T4000es
and it is plugged in to an Adaptec which finds it as
"HP T4000s 1.09" type 1 removeable SCSI 2
st0(aha0:4:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x45, 512-byte blocks,
write-enabled

This is on 2.2.6.

Any attempt to use it just hangs - no mt status, tar or dump seems to
work with it. There is a ncr scsi device built in to the motherboard
but
I never use it, maybe this is causing the problem.

Any ideas as to what the heck is causing me this problem?
Dmesg has
st0(aha:4:0): timed out
or
  DUMP: estimated 1344 tape blocks.
st0: not ready
  DUMP: Cannot open output "/dev/nrst0".

A real pain - just one tape from a backup of a Linux box ..... I may
have to install the L-word on a box just to get the data off .... - now
there's a challenge!

Cheers
Neil