Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:11:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot1 changes and etherboot support

Warner Losh writes:
| In message <200102181812.f1IICV127887@iguana.aciri.org> Luigi Rizzo writes:
| : > We'd also be able to load the kernel out of ROM :-)
| :
| : the whole issue is the size of the ROM isn't it ?
|
| Yes.  I saw a few datasheets for embedded systems that have 2M or 4M
| of flash.  Some of that is for the BIOS, but part of it can be used
| for a system image.  That's a very common thin on other platforms as
| well.

Is this bits or bytes.  The Intel firmware hub can have 4 or 8 Mbits that
comes with any Intel 8XX system so with gzip you could fit a bunch of
stuff in a standard off the shelf motherboard.  Also CMOS memory is
increasing and that could be used for some configuration info to be
used as non-flash persistant storage such as IP address and such.  Also
having a small BIOS image like General Software would help save space.

Doug A.