Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:56:06 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de
Cc:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Size of a port...

> How about generating pkg_create generate this information automatically
> and putting it into the port's +CONTENTS file. Then teach pkg_info some

Bad idea as then one can't easily get it out of the file.  One more
file in the package database won't be that bad I think and it makes
the whole thing very easy.  About a dozen lines in pkg_info were the
result of doing it that way.  :-)

> For the ftp-install, you'd have to "pkg_info -s ftp://.../foo.tgz"
> instead of downloading the size-file manually, which I think would be

Yeah, right.  I used option "-s" in my patches - for obvious reasons.
:-)

Only for pkg_create I had to use "-S" as "-s" was already in use.  And
for the "size only" feature option "-z" as in si(z)e.  :-( Maybe
someone has a better idea and can explain why it is better.

For now I made "-S" give the name of the (optional) file which gets
the size estimation and "-z" to indicate it should only do this
estimation and not actually create a package.

I would have liked "-s" for the size file and "-S" for the size file
w/o actually creating a package.

> Also, associating a port with any size of some (compiled binary)
> package seems a bit misleading to me, as the size may vary if e.g.
> some dependant (static) lib changes, or you might not even know
> what compiler-toolchain the building user's using (or even which
> architecture :-).

Lib changes are usually not that severe I think.  How much would they
usually add?  A few KByte I suppose.

The compiler and architecture are the part which convinces me that
this is not a good idea to put into the ports w/o propper identifi-
cation of at least the architecture.  The compiler we could just
assume to be the system's compiler.  Anybody using something else
should know what he/she is doing anyway.

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.