Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:20:28 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Kevin Lyons <klyons@corserv.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suggestion

--==_Exmh_-1850683272P

If memory serves me right, Kevin Lyons wrote:
> do you expect someone to order the cd before finding out if their
> hardware is supported?

Of course not.

> you could at least link to the ftp location where the supported hardware
> is shown.
> ie. >
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.6-RELEASE/HARDWARE.HTM
>

> this is in regard to the following page.
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x2854.html

The problem is that the handbook isn't just for "4.6-RELEASE on i386",
so linking to exactly one file isn't really the answer.

Note that the hardware list for the most recent release is also linked
off the top-level page on the FreeBSD Web site, so it's not like this
is a big secret.

Having said that, I've just added a link to the Release Information
page on the Web site, where you can find the hardware lists for all
FreeBSD versions on all architectures.  This change will be reflected
in the on-line Handbook within the next day or so.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1850683272P

--==_Exmh_-1850683272P--