Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 16:09:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Behrens <mbehrens@globaldsl.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting ARP replies on a connected network w/o having IP configured?

I have a laptop that frequently moves from network to network and I'd like
it to intelligently configure itself based on MAC addresses of other hosts
it sees on the local LAN segment; essentially "fingerprinting" the LAN
it's on.

Obviously this gets done as root. :-)  Is there some function that I can
use, or maybe some shell command?  (Just executing "arp -a" with an
unconfigured interface either returns nothing or hangs.)

Or maybe there's a better way of fingerprinting?  (DHCP is not possible,
btw.)

Matt Behrens <mbehrens@globaldsl.com>
System Engineer, Global DSL Communications