Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 18:05:25 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        ROBERTC@PII.COM (Robert Clark)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org, clark@opengovt.open.org
Subject:   Re: What network cards work well?

Robert Clark stands accused of saying:

> Questions:
>
> ISA NICS:
>      Is the Intel EtherExpress NIC and or driver intrinsicly
>      braindamaged?  What ISA bus NIC(s) has/have the most fully
>      featured driver support under FreeBSD 2.0.5 and 2.1? ie:Bpf

Dunno, and the 'ed' driver is probably the best - an SMC 8013 or later
clone.

>      Will changing from ISA to PCI based NICS lessen overhead, or
>      speed  response time, on a P5 based system?

Depends on how hard the machine is working.  The 'ed' driver can consume
most of your ISA bus bandwidth if you push the data hard enough.

> PCI NICS:
>      What PCI bus NIC(s) has/have the most fully feature driver support
> under FreeBSD 2.1?

Probably the DEC-based cards.

>      If I run a DEC based Fast Ethernet card, will it run well in a standard
> 10Mb network?  Do the DEC based cards suffer when compared to a standard
> 10Mb card?

No.  The DEC chipset is pretty good/

>      Are 'lance' based PCI NICs supported under FreeBSD 2.1?

They're known to work, but the driver isn't PCI-aware and can be troublesome
to configure.  I don't believe there's an active supporter for these cards
at this point in time.

> PCI SCSI CONTROLLERS
>      I've heard the NCR based PCI SCSI controllers touted as being values.
>  Are there any performance related functions missing from the NCR based
> cards, or are the non NCR based boards just over priced?

They use PCI bandwidth to run their microcode; this is not normally a problem
unless your system is _really_ strapped for PCI bandwidth.  They don't
handle large numbers of simultaneous targets as well as the Adaptec cards,
but they'll keep a couple of fast SCSI disks quite happily busy.

>      I attribute the timeouts to the fact that the P5-90 can drive the ix0:
> faster than the card can go.  I would like to run a PCI card in this
> machine, but don't want to buy one until I've heard good things from people
> who've used them.  I have a 'lance' chipset PCI card available, but it isn't
> (doesn't seem to be) supported in 2.0.5.

Give it a go - plonk it in and see what address the PCI code says it's been
mapped at, and then configure the 'lnc' driver to that address.  You may/will
have to play with IRQ and DMA settings, and I have no idea what will
happen WRT the 24-bit DMA address limitations that the older Lance cards have.