Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 17:29:19 -0500
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 10:31:22PM +0100, Soren Schmidt wrote:
> Hmm, well, if you want support for any of the new ata-66 controllers
> you have to use the ata driver, so you loose some you win some.
> Given that my patch for the SiS works and a patch I got from Luoqi,
> the ONLY support you are loosing is the Cyrix.

Personally, I've been using the new ata driver since it was first
announced and haven't had any problems with it.  But it appeared that
a bunch of people piped up with various reasons they couldn't use it,
so it seemed that it's a bit premature to delete wd entirely.

> Well, progress doesn't come for free you know, somebody has to do the
> hard work of actually implementing things. So if you think its going
> too slowly, do something about it, help out where you can, but complaining
> isn't helping anybody :)

I'm not complaining.  My remarks were not intended as an attack or
complaint.  I just think that it is a bad idea to completely delete
the old driver while there are still a reasonable number of people who
can't use the new one.  As I said, I think it should have become the
default a long time ago, so these people would have been somewhat more
likely to have shown up before crunch time.

I would love to do nothing more than help out with FreeBSD, but like
almost all of us, my available time is limited.  I have contributed my
comments, bug reports, and occasional bits and pieces of code.  This
particular message should be interpreted more as a suggestion that new
systems be made the default sooner in -current in order to get wider
testing, but at the same time, the old system should be left as an
option until that testing indicates it's safe for it to go away.
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/