Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2002 20:29:51 +1200
From:      James Pole <james.pole@paradise.net.nz>
To:        Gary D Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can we use a mouse|pointer list?

On Sunday 09 June 2002 19:15, Gary D Kline wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 10:18:45PM -0700, Bill Swingle wrote:
> > It would probably be more appropriate for you to write up some docs o=
> > what you had to do and submit them for inclusion in the handbook.
>
> =09So far, my theory is that, using the PS/2 port that is
> =09becoming standard:
>
> =09Protocol: "Auto"
> =09Device:   "/dev/sysmouse"
>
> =09in /etc/XF86Config, and the moused line
>
> =09moused -p /dev/psm0 -t auto
>
> =09will work for nearly every mouse, PS/2 or serial.  --This
> =09is for X4.2*.  I'm not certain about this and need more
> =09input.    The serial side of configuration is more open-ended.
>
> =09Seems to me that if a enough people on this list would cut-and-
> =09paste their XF86Config  mouse Sections and the moused line from
> =09ps ax  that we would have enough for some kind of config list.
> =09And I'd have a starting point for the handbook docs.
>
> =09gary

99% of the time the "Auto" protocal works (at least if you connect the mo=
use=20
directly and your mouse uses a sane protocal). My feeling is that people=20
should be encouraged to use "Auto" first, and any other protocals as a la=
st=20
resort as "Auto" requires less fiddling around with the protocal settings=
 --=20
and less questions to the -questions and -stable mailing lists.

Decent mouses that use some of the more common protocals (such as the sta=
ndard=20
PS/2 and USB protocals that seems to be common these days, especially amo=
ngst=20
M$ mouses) are quite cheap these days -- people, IMHO, have no exuse for=20
replacing old and awful mouses.

- James