Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 14:52:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dave Hummel <HUMMDN36@BUFFALOSTATE.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ftp/webserver on 386 w/4m?

Hi all,
With the exception of the excerpt below I found few encouraging words with
regard to attempting to install FreeBSD on a 386sx 4M ram 70m hard drive. My
resources are very limited as far as hardware, but this old piece of junk has a
good internet connection through university. I do not intend to use this system
to compile anything, and I can even edit offline. There will never be more than
one user logged on at once. I'm think I'm pretty clear on how to build a bare
bones

From:      "Lenzi, Sergio" <lenzi@bsi.com.br>

FreeBSD on a floppy???

Once I did it
Supose you have a floppy with a ufs filesystem on it..

disklabel  -r -w /dev/rfd0 fd1440
newfs -t2 -u 18 /dev/rfd0
tunefs -m 0 /dev/rfd0
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
mkdir /mnt/sbin /mnt/dev /mnt/etc

1) install the sources (the /usr/src directory)
2) use the crunchgen command (man crunchgen) to build an
        executable with everything you need inside like: ifconfig, route,
netstat, pppd, sh, cp, cat, find, cpio...
   Name it binaries and install it on a /bin in the floppy using gzip
        gzip < binaries > /mnt/bin/binaries.
3) make the /dev directory on the floppy (cd floppy, sh /dev/MAKEDEV all).
4) build a small kernel with gzip binaries, pppd slip. and install it on
the floppy.
5) create links for the binaries (ln -s binary cp; ln -s binary sh....)
6) copy the /sbin/init to the /mnt/sbin
7) create a etc/rc in the floppy... This is the startup file the system
will use.

Once booted, the system will execute the /etc/rc file...
There you can setup anything you want using the commands in the /bin

Hope this will help....

Sergio Lenzi.

Unix consult