Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 21:55:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>
To:        "G. Jason Middleton" <jasonm@jestec.com>
Cc:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: no buffer  space available (outcome of netstat -m)

When this happened to me once before, I ifconfig'd the interface down and
back up... Viola, working interface. Never figured out what caused it
though :)

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, G. Jason Middleton wrote:

> The original problem was an still is > ping: sendto: no buffer space
> avaialble.
>
> I was able to reproduce the error today while telneting in to the box.  I
> was ftping through telnet and i did an "ls" and it got halfway through a
> directory listing and crapped out on my.  the box was no where to be found
> on the network/internet.
>
> OK i did the netstat -m and got he following output
>
> 298/352/4096 mbufs in use (current/peak/max)
> 170 mbufs allocated to data
> 128 mbufs allocated to packets headers
> 41/160/1024 mbuf clusters in use  (current/peak/max)
> 408 kbytes allocated to network (13% of mb-map in use)
> 0 requests for mem denied
> 0 requests for mem delayed
> 0 calls to protocol drain routines
>

> what next?
>
> Jason
>

> Does this happen regularly? Check `netstat -m' on the machine (you'll
> probably have to do it from the console) when this is happening.
> If it happens regularly, does anything specific happen that "helps
> reproduce it?"
> What version of FreeBSD are you running?
>
> -Bosko
>
> G. Jason Middleton wrote:
>
> > I have a problem.
> > I can telnet into my bsd box from the net and after a while it will
> just not
> > let me in. It just drops right off the face of the earth.  So when i
> > actually try to ping something from the box after this happens i get
> an
> > error as follows:
> >
> > ping: sendto: no buffer space avaialble.
> >

> > when i reboot everything works like it should.
> >
> > Got any ideas?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > G. Jason Middleton
> > University of Maryland Baltimore County

          Wesley N Morgan                       _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
          morganw@chemikals.org                     _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
          FreeBSD: The Power To Serve                  _ |___/___/___/
          6bone: 3ffe:1ce3:7::b4ff:fe53:c297