Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 00:32:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        brianc@pobox.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: non-passworded accounts

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Brian Campbell
had to walk into mine and say:

> Snob Art Genre writes:

> > > You want to put a '*' in place of the password.
> >
> > Isn't that how you lock an account so that it isn't accessible at all?
> > Hmm, I just realized the original question is ambiguous.  Brian, are you
> > trying to make a account inaccessible (i.e. no valid password at all) or
> > open (no password required at all)?
>
> I'm trying to make an account open.  I tried '*' just in case -- behaves
> the same as an empty passwd field.

The problem is that so far you haven't described what happens in
either case. All you said in your original message was that it
'doesn't work.' I'd like to state for the record that there's
little I hate more than when somebody comes to me complaining that
something 'doesn't work' and then expects me to divine the nature
of their problem and solve it without any further details.

If you really expect anyone to help you with this, you're going to
have to do more than say 'it doesn't work.' Explain how you arrived
at the conclusion that it 'doesn't work' in as much detail as possible.
It's not like we can see what you're doing from here, you know.

That said, it should be noted that unless you specify otherwise, the
system is installed without a password on the root account. I installed
a couple of 2.2 GAMMA releases like this and never noticed any problem.

-Bill