Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:46:02 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@altavista.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.3 is UNIX?

It is always a good day when the CDs arrive, even for a STABLE tracker
such as I, with new colour schemes, product catalogue and of course more
stickers. This is of course the first release backed by Wind River.

What caught my eye right away was the new legend on the CD case, which
reads

	"A Full High-performance 32/64 bit UNIX Operating System"

in stark contrast to the usual "...4.4 BSD Lite based...".

I can't find any indication that I missed the news that FreeBSD has been
certified by the Open Group and note that it's not the colloquial "unix"
or even the _all words start in upper case_ "Unix", but the Open Group
specified all-caps "UNIX", except without the required registered
trademark ® symbol.

While in other cases this might be just an unintentional use of a common
term, there is no way, given its rich and exciting history, that it would
happen in a BSD release.

To muddy the waters further, the FreeBSD Mall sheet has the same legend
printed on it under the "FreeBSD 4.3" title, however the picture of the CD
case, which is accurate in every other detail, shows the blurb on the CD
as saying "...4.4 BSD Lite based..."!

What's the story behind this?

-Andrew-