Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:09:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ppc0, lpt0, ppbus, and irq selection

Apologies for the belated reply.

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Kevin G. Eliuk wrote:

> Chris BeHanna wrote:
> >
> >     Is it absolutely required to run your parallel port and printer
> > from IRQ 7?  I have a box with every slot filled, and due to the fact
> > that one of my PCI slots is hardwired to IRQ 5 (curse ABIT for this!),
> > my only available choice for my SB16 card is 7, so I tried running
> > ppbus etc. on irq 3, but all I get is gibberish from the printer.
>
> You can also run it in polled mode.  See:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/printing-intro-setup.html

    This information was OK for 3.x.  It is not applicable for 4.x,
although it got me thinking, and "man ppc" told me the rest.  This
configuration setting did the trick for me:

    # Force NIBBLE mode and disable use of an IRQ
    device		ppc0	at isa? port? flags 0x21

Now, both sound and printing work.  I hope this helps someone else
with a full motherboard and IRQ conflicts.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)